5 Simple Ways to Motivate Yourself Today for a Better Future Tomorrow
By K.P. Wee, ULI English Instructor
Sometimes, life can be overwhelming because of things that are happening in our world. In situations like this, sometimes we feel really unmotivated and wonder to ourselves, "How can I stop being so lazy and how will I move forward? How can I make changes in my ability to work?"
Over the years, however, I've found ways to overcome this common issue. Today, let me share five of them with you. Try these ideas for yourself and you will soon find yourself more motivated and ready to take the next step already!
1. Act like your heroes. We all have heroes. Read about them. Watch them. Listen to them. Find out what they're doing, or what they did, that was effective. Discover what made them successful. But remember that they're people -- just like us. So, if they can do it, so can you! Let their ways inspire you, and learn their good habits that can help you succeed and be motivated too!
2. Don't be afraid of failure. Instead, look at the situation as valuable feedback and as a natural part of a successful life and opportunity. As the famous basketball Hall of Famer Michael Jordan once said, "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
And so can you! If Michael can do it, why can't you? Also, try to find the valuable lesson(s) in each one of your stumbles. Ask yourself: What can I learn from this?
3. Shut off your negativity. Change the way you take in information. Program out negative and cynical thoughts from "friends," the media, and the society. Reduce your information intake. Then, take in positive news and entertainment, more of your own thoughts and useful information such as personal growth podcasts and books. Be selective and keep it positive. Take action in your hands! You are responsible for your own future.
4. Focus on the positive. This is an extension of number three. Learn to think more positively most of the time. Learn to let go of negative thoughts before they have a chance to control you. Change the "No, I can't" into "Yes, I can!" and "Yes, I will!" You might not be able to be positive 100 percent of the time no matter what happens. That's okay. But I am convinced that most of us can improve on our positive thinking and the results it can lead us to. Perhaps more than you realize right now. For those of you looking for a career change, you can add to your career skillset now! When you change your attitude, you can change a lot of things for yourself!
5. Make a nice deal with yourself. Yes, make a deal with yourself, big or small… And now is the time for me to take that course! To encourage yourself to get out of bed today and get to your tasks — and register for that course — tell yourself something simple like: When I'm done with this chapter/this assignment, I will take a walk in the park and enjoy an ice cream. Go do it now!
But make sure you get the tasks done before you eat that ice cream! And your ice cream is a job in the field you’re looking for!
To learn more about Universal Learning Institute and our courses — and how we can help you with your next step — contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.